Thursday, March 19, 2009

Keep the Home Fires Burning


It is interesting now when thinking of going out to eat or purchasing a new kitchen faucet, I actually consider; this purchase might very well be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for this or that local business.

I know that seems overly dramatic, but in these economic times there is a point, maybe late on a cold March evening, when you have to look at your business, maybe look in the mirror and then shut the door forever. This is important for more than just being nice to people for me. I live a ways out, and although Costco might be a bit cheaper, even though their shopping experience is hellish, I don’t always want to drive 10 miles for small things. The Safeway here is much bigger, brighter and nicer, but the local store is cheaper, friendlier and has much better meat and local produce, it is also closer, within walking distance and I would really miss their small weird little store if they closed.

Camera stores, like Kenmore Camera, are one of my favorite stores. When buying a new camera it is tough to buy there when the online equivalent will be maybe $200 cheaper. I really want them to stay in business though. For one thing when shopping I want to be able to hold something in my hands and get a feel for it. Ah, what to do.., I try and throw them business to show appreciation for what they do for me when I can.

Locally we have too many restaurants; we had five teriyaki places for a small town. Some shakeout is inevitable; I would like to pick and choose what stays though. The way I vote is money I suppose. Right now the town in its infinite wisdom has decided to re-do all the major downtown roads which makes it even harder to shop the local shops. The tavern a somewhat famous biker type place had been in business for 86 years, it is now gone.

It would appear when done a year or more from now the economy will close about half the stores in town. Right now I have to think and ponder a bit when making purchases, if not I may lose a piece of town I take for granted. The local hardware store is important, when needing small items I don’t want to have to drive to Monroe or Woodinville all the time, I bought the faucet from them. You are welcome True Value, may you live long and prosper!

No comments: